3205 Hillsdale Drive
Urbandale, IA 50322
Life in 1912 when the
Iowa Beekeepers Association was Formed
- Dixie Cup is invented
- Life Savers Candy was created by Clarence Crane
- Motorized movie cameras were invented, replacing its hand-cranked predecessor
- New Mexico and Arizona became the 47th & 48th state
- Pitcher ‘Cy Young’, for whom the major baseball award is named, retired with 511 wins
- Nabisco had a new idea for a cookie, and named it the “Oreo”
- Girl Scouts of U.S.A. is founded
- The 5th Summer Olympics was held in Stockholm, Sweden
- Albert Berry made the first parachute jump from an airplane
- The average life expectancy was 47 years
- The average wage in 1912 was $1,022 a year
- The average car cost $941.00
- The Five leading causes of death were: 1- Pneumonia and influenza 2-Tuberculosis 3-Diarrhea
4-Heart disease and 5-Stroke
- Two out of every 10 American adults couldn't read or write and only 6 % graduated from high school
- The American flag had 45 stars.
- The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!
- Only 8 percent of homes had a telephone.
-Eruption of Novarupta in Alaska begins June 6th. It’s the second largest volcanic eruption of the 20th
-Arctic explorer Robert Scott's diary & dead body found in Antarctica – Nov 12th
-On April 15th, the "unsinkable" ocean liner “Titanic” sinks on her maiden voyage after colliding with an iceberg off the coast of Newfoundland, over 1,500 drown.
-Cost of a first-class stamp – two cents
-Cost of sugar - .04 cents a pound / eggs – .14cents a dozen / coffee - .15 cents a pound.
- Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used Borax or egg yolks for shampoo.
-There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 miles of paved roads.
Facts about 1910-1920 Compared with 2012
• U.S. Population: 92,407,000 • U.S. Population: 312,780,968
• Life Expectancy: Male 48.4 Female: 51.8 • Life Expectancy: Male 75.6; Female: 80.8
• Average Salary $750 / year • Average Salary $50, 233 / year
• Move stars, the Ziegfeld girls earns $75/week. • Movie star earns $1.5 to $3million
• Unemployed 2,150,000 • Unemployed 8.3%
• National Debt: $1.15 billion • National Debt: over $15 trillion
• Movie attendance: 30 million per week • Movie Attendance: 1470 million per week
• Divorce: 1/1000 • Divorce: 41.8%
• Vacation: 12 day cruise $60 • Vacation: 12 day cruise $4-15k
• Whiskey $3.50 / gallon, Milk .32 / gallon • Gas $3.89 / gallon, Milk $3.39 / gallon
• Union Membership: 2.1 million - Strikes 1,204
• Lynching’s: 76
Statistics are According to the United States Census Bureau